Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Performance Style We Don't Need to Worry About

So I read an article today about a theatre company up north that didn't have enough money in their budget to afford costumes. What was the answer? Every show they do is in the nude- I'm not kidding! Play, musical, revue, you name it- they are naked. The artistic director says this approach has done them very well since they don't have to buy materials to make costumes or rent them or mantain them. Now they are able to make money (go figure) rather than going in the hole. I think I'd rather be broke. Much of their profit comes from ticket sales and patrons, but about ten percent comes from the sale of binoculars in the lobby. Yes, I was cracking up too when reading this, but at the same time completely horrified. The craziest part of the whole deal is the artisitc director's last name is Modest.

No comments: